Glossary for Glass and Glazing terms

Browse the glossary using this index

Special | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | ALL

Page:  1  2  (Next)


back clearance

Space between the surface of the glass and the back of the rebate.

back compound

See glazing compound

back putty

That portion of the compound remaining between the back of the rebate and glass after the glass has been pressed into position in the bedding putty.

backer rod

A material placed into a joint, primarily to control the depth of the sealant and to prevent adhesion at the base of the sealant bead.


A vertical member supporting a handrail and forming part of a balustrade.


A series of balusters supporting a handrail or coping at the open side of a stair, ramp, elevated platform, landing, balcony, parapet, or bridge.
Also used as the collective name for the entire framed enclosure between handrail and floor level (see also handrail).


A surface defect that looks like hammered metal. Unless very heavy, it usually cannot be seen by the naked eye, although it can be clearly seen on the shadowgraph.


A strip of wood, metal, sealant or other suitable material secured to the rebate to retain the glass. Also known as glazing bead or sealant bead.

bed or bedding

The glazing material used to seal between the glass and frame/bead.

bedding or stop

In glazing, the application of compound at the base of the channel, just before the stop is placed in position, or buttered (see buttering) on the inside face of the stop.

Page:  1  2  (Next)